The following are the procedures we recommend you follow step by step if you are wanting to invest in New Zealand. Don’t worry, they are very simple! Probably the most important first step is to contact Mary to discuss your personal situation and investment in New Zealand.
- Take a good look around our website.
- Contact Mary who can give you information about market, rental, sales and statistics in all parts of New Zealand. She is not a Financial Adviser so cannot give advice, but can steer you in the right location and refer you to qualified NZ Accountants, Solicitors, Valuers and people connected in property.
- Choose one or more locations from website and inquire by phone or email.
- Obtain a preapproval from New Zealand Mortgage Solutions Australia on New Zealand bank/lender letterhead (valid for 3 months). We will discuss with you and let you choose from a selection of 12 New Zealand banks/financial institutions.
- Speak to your accountant and a New Zealand qualified accountant before you purchase who can advise you the tax relationship and advantages of investing in New Zealand (New Zealand Mortgage Solutions Australia can give you a selection of good accountants based on clients good experience). We encourage you to obtain independent legal and financial advice before making a purchase or entering into any loan contracts as withholding tax and other taxes may apply to cross-border borrowing.
- Once you obtain preapproval contact many real estate agents.
- Then when you are ready with a selection of properties fly to New Zealand to inspect (subject to COVID 19 circumstances at the time)..
- Inspect properties as well as familiarise yourself with most areas of the locations you are looking for.
- If you find a property immediately then email a real estate agent’s rental assessment to Mary at New Zealand Mortgage Solutions Australia.
- Usually within 7 to 10 working days Mary normally obtains preapproval on a New Zealand bank letterhead before you go to New Zealand.
- Talk to a NZ solicitor to obtain advice on Agreement for Sale & Purchase.
- After usually 10 working days Agreement for Sale & Purchase goes unconditional (after you and solicitor agree).
- Settlement usually occurs 4 to 6 weeks from date of Agreement for Sale & Purchase
- Settlement - Rental Manager usually has a tenant for you.
- New Zealand Mortgage Solutions Australia will continue to help you on a permanent basis in relation to reviewing your fixed term interest rates, top-up of existing mortgage, helping you strive to invest in future properties and will always be there for your assistance.
Find out more about finance for property in other New Zealand cities.